Mercedes Sprinter Head Unit Upgrade (Atoto S8 Gen 2 Ultra)



I recently updated my 2016 Sprinter head unit from the factory, Becker, with a navigation module to an Android head unit, the Atoto S8 Gen 2 Ultra. My reasons for this were because of difficulty updating the navigation module, often bad and out-of-date directions provided, and not enough apps. This new head unit allows me to run any Android apps (Google Maps, any campground-finding apps like iOverlander, and all my media apps like Spotify and Amazon Prime Video). I can also run split-screen so that any apps can run side by side, like Google Maps and Spotify as shown below. I have no prior experience with installing head units but with the help of Crutchfield, I was able to find the parts I needed to get it installed. The Crutchfield technical support is really helpful. The main parts are the wiring interface kit for the Sprinter which includes the steering wheel controller integration and also the dash kit which allows you to install a Double DIN head unit into the space of the factory radio. Some tools are needed like a trim kit removal tool and a set of Torx screwdrivers (T25). If you are not very mechanically inclined you may want to get it installed but I wouldn't say it was that difficult once you have all the parts you need. I am very happy with the end result.

Here is the shopping list of parts I ordered for this project.
Here are some pictures and details about the installation:
The original head unit with trim removed. The first step was removing the trim, existing head unit, and a piece of plastic known as the "Radio Delete" option. It's basically a piece of plastic that the factory head unit attaches to but is in the way of the new dash kit. The dash kit I purchased above requires this to be removed. 

This is a photo of the wiring interface attached to the radio wires and head unit installed in the dash kit. I originally used solder seal connectors to attach the wires but I recommend going with PosiProducts connectors linked above. This way if you have to reconnect wires it's much easier.

The Atoto slim OBD2 interface can be inserted when the cover is closed.


OBD2 interface provides the ability to display real-time engine stats through the Torque app for Android.


It's good to configure a password that is displayed when the engine first starts. If you have your car serviced or use a valet, you don't have to worry about all your data being exposed.


I have lots of Android apps installed like Amazon Shopping. Now I can shop while driving...

The factory rear camera works but when I had it activating when reverse is triggered, It was flashing as I backed up. I have currently removed the reverse wire trigger and instead activate it using a steering wheel control button. I may continue to investigate why the wiring didn't work for this.


It's great to have access to apps like the weather channel on my dash.

Having google maps on my dash has improved my routes over the Becker maps software.

The Android notification menu provides quick access to the equalizer, eye comfort mode, reboot, and other features.

The Atoto built-in software provides a pretty powerful equalizer.

The split-screen feature in Android allows you to easily display both Maps and Spotify at the same time.

The Atoto settings allow you to switch out the boot logo with your manufacturer's logo.


It's really nice to have apps like iOverlander where I can easily find a free campsite and immediately add the location coordinates into Google Maps so I can get directions through the Dash head unit.

The Atoto software provides an app for configuring steering wheel controls.

Now it is possible to watch Amazon Prime Video on the dash (Do not watch video while driving!)

The Atoto head unit provides a GPS antenna and additional microphone which I found worked better than the built-in. I ran these wires up the A-Pillar. The microphone is really useful with Google Assistant for finding points of interest along my route.


Overall, I am really happy with the upgrade, and I recommend this approach for anyone looking for an alternative to the factory head unit. It has never been easier to find restaurants along my route while driving.

Comments

D.AileanMackay said…
You lost me and Karen at "I recently updated my 2016 Sprinter head unit from the factory, Becker, with a navigation module to an Android head unit, the Atoto S8 Gen 2 Ultra.".

Your Uncle Dougie
D.AileanMackay said…
..serious ??? I recently installed a sound card for my new desktop and whenever any source, be it music from Spotify or FB videos, etc. there's a constant static-like type sound. Any thoughts on this?
Craig MacKay said…
I would check all the cables and make sure they are not next to other wires maybe. Possibly replace audio cables or reinstall the card. Another option might be to make sure all the software drivers for the sound card are up to date.
D.AileanMackay said…
Thanks, I'll try all that and let you know!
Dean said…
Do you have any tips on how to remove the old trim?
Craig MacKay said…
If you use a trim tool like the small blue one listed above. You can insert it near the edge of the trim until it starts pop out. There are probably like 6 points where the trim connects. This youtube video shows someone removing it. https://youtu.be/j4I3Yst-k2U
Craig MacKay said…
The trim removal starts about 6 minutes into the video. https://youtu.be/j4I3Yst-k2U?t=363